Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Bread Man`s Cap

I remember the bread man ...

He was cheerful and chatty and always had a candy for me; a long, thin bar of dark chocolate with orange cream in the middle, wrapped in the most delicate gold foil.

He wore a stiff, leather pouch around his waist with a serious buckle on it, filled with coins and  a roll of paper money he would sort through to make change.  It looked something like this ...


His hands were always covered in a white, floury film and he carried the round, fresh loaves over his shoulder in a white canvas bag ... funny the things you remember; this was back in Portugal so I was just a little thing, 6 or 7 ...

And the bread man wore a CAP.  Oh, it was glorious!  With a visor he wore to one side, like this ...


and a strap across the front with buttons on either side. It too had traces of flour on it as he always gave it a tap, one coming and one going, to whoever was there to pay for and take the warm loaves from his huge sack.

So ALL OF THIS inspired me to make one ...

And here it is, in all its glory .... fresh from the memory of a little Portuguese girl who sat quietly and observed ...



Isn`t it just FABULOUS!

S
xo

Linking to:  Funky Junk Interiors
                  By Your Hands


10 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

You are good if you can crochet a hat from memory! Great job!~Patti

Debbie said...

That hat is gorgeous!! The story with it is just icing on the cake....oh my you are very good. I hope sometime you will share the pattern...my 29 year old daughter wears hats like this all the time. I would love to crochet her one!

Bonnie said...

Oh my, it is wonderful! And I love that it has a story. I see many of the young moms wearing something similiar in the mornings. Hope you are having a good weekend. Bonnie

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE the story. Absolutely ADORE the hat.

LANA said...

Love the hat and especially the rich brown colour. Reminds me of the Greek fisherman caps.

Jo @ To a Pretty Life said...

What an adorable cap! And a sweet memory to go with it.

T's Daily Treasures said...

That is a fabulous hat and such great memories. I have very few memories of my childhood. I remember I had chickenpox when I was in 1st grade. :) Hope your day is a good one. Tammy P.S. I'm just catching up on all your past posts.

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness, girl, that is very nice! I love it, I'm sure it looks great on a person.
Hugs, Cindy

Marla and Steve said...

Yes the cap is fabulous but I love that story. So sweet!

kathy b said...

yes it is

amazing
wonderful
knubby
masculine
smart

Related Posts with Thumbnails