Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sentimental Value & A Cookie Recipe

this tin was given to me by my late my mother-in-law
30 years ago this christmas


she gave it to me that year when i mentioned
that i liked it


emptied it on the spot and said
(in portuguese)
"here, take it, it's yours"
she was a woman of few words
but many kind deeds

isn't it adorable?

i've filled it with cookies every christmas since
(except the last 2 years when we were in florida)
needless to say
it has great sentimental value
and always will

i found this cookie recipe here
but, as usual, i've made my own modifications


i baked a batch this morning
and they are so delicious
so moist, so scrumptious
i was compelled to share the recipe
with you
(this is my version of it, below)

Oatmeal Date Cookies
·        2 cups rolled oats
·        3/4 cup gluten-free flour
·        1/2 cup brown sugar
·        1 teaspoon baking soda
·        1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
·        1/2 teaspoon salt
·        1/2 cup pure honey
·        3.5 tablespoons canola oil
·        2 tablespoons almond milk
·        2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
·        1 cup pitted dates, diced

1.    Preheat oven to 350F.

2.    In a large bowl, rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

3.    In a medium bowl, stir together the honey, oil, milk, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture on the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. The dough will be quite sticky.

4.    In a small bowl, coat the chopped dates in 1 teaspoon of flour and toss until coated. This prevents the dates from sticking together. Fold the dates into the dough.

5.    Take about 2 tablespoons of dough, roll it into a ball, and then press down on it with your hand to flatten it on the baking sheet. You can lightly wet your hands if necessary to prevent the dough from sticking. Space cookies a couple inches apart. Repeat until you have about 16 cookies.

6.    Bake for 12-13 minutes at 350F until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 3-4 mins. and then place cookies onto a cooling rack for 15 minutes more.

YUM
enjoy!

Sue
xo

4 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I have a tin my mother in law gave me too. But I haven't baked cookies in a real long time. Your recipe sounds scrumptious.

LANA said...

The tin is adorable and I am glad you modified the cookies so they have no butter/eggs.

Teresa Kasner said...

Hello! How nice to meet you! Thank you for visiting and I will add you to my blog list so I won't miss one of your posts. We have a lot in common. I see that your little granddaughter spent time with you.. that is wonderful!

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
*M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Mary Sonmor said...

How lovely Susie. She sounds like she was a great woman!

Related Posts with Thumbnails